Sunday, November 30, 2008
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Last night against Eagle River was 11-0 and today they won against Wasilla 11-0!!!!! North Pole Patriots complete prep hockey sweep
Staff Report, email@example.com
Published Sunday, November 23, 2008
FAIRBANKS — The North Pole Patriots are going into the Thanksgiving break on a high note after posting their second consecutive 11-0 high school hockey win on Saturday at the Polar Ice Center.
After opening a three-game weekend with a 4-2 upset of four-time defending state champion South Anchorage, the Patriots beat the Eagle River Wolves 11-0 on Friday night and came back to post another 11-0 win against the Wasilla Warriors on Saturday afternoon.
“We played excellent and didn’t let up at all today,” North Pole assistant coach Derek Linnell said after the Patriots overwhelmed the Warriors, who had lost to Lathrop (6-2) on Thursday and beat West Valley (3-1) on Friday.
North Pole jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period and the Patriots continued their assault by putting 48 shots on former teammate Gaylen Klopfer, who was in goal for the Warriors.
“Our top two lines were all over them for the entire game,” Linnell said. “The third line was right there, too. The kids’ work ethic was there the entire game.”
Hank Parra and DJ Carnley each had five-point games, while Matt Sanford and Derek Linnell each collected four points in Saturday afternoon’s contest.
Parra had three goals and two assists, while Carnley contributed a pair of goals and three assists to the winning effort. Sanford had two goals and two assists, with Linnell chipping in a goal and three assists.
Nick Crutcher, Cody Kurkowski and Damon Crutcher also lit the lamp for the Patriots. Vance Bridgman chipped in three assists.
High School hockey takes a break for Thanksgiving, but Linnell said that shouldn’t affect the Patriots, who are off to a 5-1 start on the season.
“I don’t think it will hurt us,” he said. “The kids will be eager to get back to playing on this team. This week was really a lot of positive reinforcement for us.”
When the Patriots return to action, they will be opening Mid Alaska Conference play against the Lathrop Malemutes at 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 3 at the Big Dipper Ice Arena.
“That’s going to be a real battle,” Linnell said. “Our kids will be real pumped up for that one.”
here is the news paper article. Ty got another assist and now has 8 points for the season!
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 4:13 PM
Thank you Patty for the great picture of Ty from last nights game!
Patriots keep it going with win over Eagle River
Published Saturday, November 22, 2008
FAIRBANKS — The North Pole Patriots didn’t let off the gas after beating the four-time defending state champion South Anchorage Wolverines on Thursday.
One day after a monumental 4-2 win, the Patriots stormed back to post an 11-0 victory over the Eagle River Mustangs on Friday night at the Polar Ice Center.
“It was a good team effort by everyone,” said North Pole assistant coach Tyson Goertzen. “All three lines came away with points tonight. Everyone’s confidence is starting to grow.”
Vance Bridgman led the Patriots offensive onslaught with a hat trick, while Matt Sanford and Jordan Pascoe registered two goals apiece. Alex Lemelin, Hank Parra, Jared Linnell and DJ Carnley all had one goal apiece.
Nick Crutcher was North Pole’s setup man with four assists and Sanford also had a pair of helpers. Most of the other players on the North Pole roster had one assist, according to coach Jason Storey.
“We’ve been working on some individual things in practice and it’s paid off,” Goertzen said. “These kids are coming around and playing up to their abilities.”
North Pole goalie Phoenix Copley stopped 11 shots in notching the shutout.
“He didn’t face a lot of pressure, but he was there to stop everything that came through,” Goertzen said. “He kept his focus throughout the game.”
North Pole had 51 shots on goal.
“Eagle River showed a lot of class and sportsmanship tonight,” Goertzen said. “They’ve got a classy coach and their kids should be commended for the effort they put forth
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 10:18 AM
Friday, November 21, 2008
Hank Parra scored the game-winning goal about 10 minutes into the third period for the Patriots and then added an empty-netter with 35 seconds remaining to wrap up the upset.
“It was a good win,” said North Pole coach Jason Storey. “The kids worked hard, we had great goaltending, great defense and a great team effort.”
The Patriots were ticketed for 24 minutes of penalties, but didn’t give up a power-play goal.
“We were perfect on the penalty kill tonight and that’s something we’ve been good at so far this season,” Storey said. “Of course, our best penalty killer is (goalie) Phoenix (Copley).”
Copley made 26 saves on the night, giving the Patriots a 4-1 record on the young season.
“It’s still a young season and we’ve got a long ways to go, but we are doing some good things thus far,” Storey said.
South Anchorage took a 1-0 lead in the first period on a goal by Kyle Shephard, but the Patriots answered with a goal by Matt Sanford off an assist from Tyler Keturi.
South went ahead in the second on Brad Schierhorn’s goal, only to see North Pole respond with a goal from Vance Bridgman off assists from Jared Linnell and DJ Carnley.
That set the stage for Parra’s game-winner that was set up by Carnley and Linnell. Parra’s empty-net goal was unassisted.
South Anchorage goalie Thomas Davis recorded 29 saves.
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 11:47 AM
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Christmas Edition meme
I am doing this because Gayle and Patyt did it
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? both...mostly paper but I re-use bags too.
2. Real tree or Artificial? real. We make it a snowmachine trip and cut it down as a family.
3. When do you put up the tree? As soon after Thanksgiving as we can.
4. When do you take the tree down? When it starts looking naked from the needles falling off
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My chemistry set
7. Hardest person to buy for? Dad.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Cameron, Polly, Mom...
9. Do you have a nativity scene? yes, several. One that is Camerons that he can play with too. He was so sad last year to put it away and still talks about baby Jesus and how he cant wait to see him again!
10. Mail or email Christmas cards ? Mail
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A fireproof glove that was waaay too big...the thought was sweet, I just didnt know what the heck to do with it!
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Frosty the Snowman
13. When do you start shopping for? All year long
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I recycle presents all the time...you know, regifting rather than wasting.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? appetizers...stuffed mushrooms, sausage and cheese on crackers, etc
16. Lights on the tree? Yes, colored.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Little Drummer Boy.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home, but this year Ty and I are going to Canada right after Christmas
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel.
21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The crowded stores.
23. Favorite ornament: The homemade ones, I still put my yellow painted snowman on and Pollys rocking horse, plus all the ones the boys have made
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? appetizers.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? clothes for my new job.
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 12:03 PM
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Cam and I went to lunch at Bostons then went to watch the movie Madagascar 2. Cam and I then went snow machining for a bit, Cam played with play-do making cookies. After that...after Cam went to bed I started to paint our entry way. I will put pictures in later. Leo got back from his hockey at about 1am. They went 1-1-1 for the weekend. Today we went shopping for Pollys birthday present and Grandma Linda's...I would tell you what we picked out, but they might see this! Then watched Tyler's comp practice, came home and played some games then watched the Grinch who stole Christmas....
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 7:56 PM
Friday, November 14, 2008
Here is Tyler's schedule for the upcoming Thanksgiving tournament. I figured this as the easiest way to get the information out to everyone! Come watch the boys play! :)
Thursday Nov 27
1 1:00 PM -2:15 PM BLUE Kenai Ak Wolves
2 2:30 PM - 3:45 PM BLUE Matsu U-14A
3 4:00 PM - 5:15 PM BLUE Bulldogs Arctic Lions
Friday Nov 28
4 8:30 AM - 9:45 AM BLUE Arctic Lions Kenai
5 10:00 AM - 11:15 AM BLUE U-14A Bulldogs
6 11:30 AM -12:45PM BLUE Ak Wolves Matsu
7 5:00 PM - 6:15 PM RED Kenai U-14A
8 6:30 PM - 7:45 PM RED Bulldogs Ak Wolves
9 8:00 PM - 9:15 PM RED Matsu Arctic Lions
Saturday Nov 29
10 2:30 PM - 3:45 PM BLUE 2nd Place 3rd Place
11 4:00 PM - 5:15 PM BLUE 1st Place 4th Place
12 5:30 PM - 6:45 PM Blue 5th Place 6th Place
Sunday Nov 30
3:15 PM -4:45 PM BLUE Winner Game 11 Winner Game 10
A Ak Wolves D Kenai
B Ak Wolves U-14A E Matsu
C Arctic Lions F Bulldogs
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 7:52 PM
Gayle passed on this wonderful award and asked that I list six things that make me happy....
1. My family. There is nothing I love more than spending time with my family. Whether it is playing games, skating, snowmachining, cooking or just being in the same room with them. I am happiest when we are all together.
2. Having a clean house. I cannot stand clutter/dirt etc. If you use something, put it back when you are done. If you see dirt clean it up. If you take off your shoes/socks/shirt whatever...put it where it goes. Not on the stairs, next to the shoe bin, or wherever....put it away...now!
3. Cooking. I absolutely love to cook! I hate to do dishes....but that goes back to the clutter thing and I hate clutter more so I will do them! But it is so satisfying to chop this and that and mix and blend and come out with a wonderful concoction.
4. I love to watch my boys do anything. Watching Tyler on the ice is so fun. He is so gifted and only now is starting to realize and be able to skate with confidence because he can recognize his gift. Watching Cameron play with his toys is like stepping into his mind. I get to see and hear what he is thinking about! He has such an incredible imagination. Best of all is when they play together. Seeing the love and mutual respect they have for one another is an amazing thing.
5. Being outside. Climbing mountians, riding the four wheeler to the cabin, fishing in a stream, hearing the wind in the trees and smelling the fresh air. Even just going for a walk down the road or mowing the lawn, working in the garden.
6. snuggling with Cameron in bed and feeling his hand come over my back and him whisper in my ear in a sleepy voice I love you Mommy. Having Tyler tell me I love you Mom have a great day today as he heads out to school. Answering the phone to Leo saying Hi beautiful....
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 10:21 AM
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 8:43 AM
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
For the following questions you have the choice of Truth or Dare. You can either answer the question truthfully or if you choose Dare you must write what you'd be willing to do instead. Have fun. Pass it on if you dare..
1. If you had a magic wand would start life all over? no.
2. How old were you when you first had sex? 17 and stupid
3. Would you make your breasts bigger or smaller? the same but perkier
4. How many times would you marry or remarry? once...or maybe live in sin!
5. If you had the opportunity to be a man for a day would you do it? definitely to get the inside scoop.
6. Have you ever thought about divorce? Many many times.
7. Is LOVE or Money more important? Love...but money is good too!
8. Can you touch your toes? Yes
9. Do you like your mother in law? yes
10. If you could pick the age you would kick it what would it be? 85
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 2:04 PM
To participate just copy and paste in your own blog, and bold all of the things you have done. Happy discoveries!
1. Started my own Blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than I can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland/world
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sung a solo11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched lightening at sea
14. Taught myself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown my own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community3
36. Taught myself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had my portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had my picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Rode a elephant
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 1:55 PM
North Pole hockey drops a dozen on Hutchison
By Matias Saari
Published Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Photo by Sam Harrel
Photo by Sam Harrel
FAIRBANKS — Nick Crutcher of North Pole High School scored on a rebound 20 seconds into Tuesday night’s hockey game against Hutchison, then showed no reaction.
Teammate Hank Parra put in a wrister 22 seconds later at the Big Dipper Ice Arena, again without celebration.
And so it went for the Patriots, who scored almost at will against the overmatched Hawks but showed little emotion — other than an occasional smile — in the 12-0 nonconference drubbing of their Class 3A opponent.
“We didn’t celebrate because we just didn’t want to make the team feel any (worse) because we were already wiping them out on the scoreboard,” said Crutcher, a senior forward who led the way with three goals and an assist.
The game was still a challenge for the Class 4A Patriots, who wanted to limit their mistakes and keep playing hard while displaying good sportsmanship.
“It’s hard because even though we’re winning, we gotta keep our heads in it and not make stupid mistakes, like get penalties,” Crutcher said.
Added North Pole assistant coach Derek Linnell: “The little mistakes we’re making, when we play the big schools from Anchorage (and) Lathrop, they’re going to kill us. If we do that against those teams, the puck’s going to be in the net.”
But on Tuesday, the puck landed in Hutchison’s net four times in the first period, seven times (all in a seven-minute span) in the second period and once in the third.
“You don’t want to pull the reins on the kids, but you can’t tell them not to play hard,” Linnell said.
Eight Patriots scored goals while five others added at least an assist.
Leading the way were Crutcher, captain Matt Sanford (a goal and three assists), DJ Carnley and Parra (each with two goals and an assist) and freshman Tyler Keturi (three assists).
Junior goaltender Phoenix Copley made eight saves, preserving the shutout with five minutes remaining by making a pad save on a penalty shot from Hutch junior Drew Baggen.
After getting hauled down on a breakaway, the diminutive Baggen perhaps showed his frustration by getting in a shoving match with North Pole senior Cody Kurkowski, resulting in four-minute roughing penalties for each player. Baggen was permitted to take the penalty shot before heading to the sin bin.
Despite the lopsided score, Hutchison first-year coach Dave Teets remained optimistic. He called playing 4A competition “a whole different league.”
“We wanted everybody to stay positive and build on the good things we did, and we had some good shifts where we played really well,” Teets said. “We had other shifts where we fell apart real quick.”
The Hawks have 10 underclassmen but expect to be a contender in the Greatland Conference this season.
“There were some things we did in today’s game that if we do in our conference, we’re going to be very successful,” Teets said.
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 1:31 PM
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 10:13 PM
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Friday, November 7, 2008
North Pole rocks! They won the first game of the tournament against Kenai 8-1!!! Ty got two assists in that game. Tonight I got to listen to them live via the web radio playing against Soldotna...they won 5-3 and Ty got two assists again!!! Do you know how cool it is to hear a sports announcer giving play by play of your child???? WAAAAAY COOOL!!!
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 9:36 PM
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Posted by keturi/faro clan at 2:32 PM